Recipe: Easy, Three-Ingredient Tomato Sauce, Vegan, Tree Nut-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free

Three ingredients happily bubbling away

I got a cold the week of Christmas. Yuck. And during that week, at home, I found a really simple tomato sauce recipe that used only three ingredients, which I had in my pantry. I made it, thoroughly enjoyed it and posted pictures of it. Comfort food, ahhhh. 


GF pasta with fresh mozz and my 3-ingredient sauce

And it’s like an Ur-sauce, usable for so many dishes. I used it for pasta with mozzarella but I’m sure you can cook any protein with it. And as it’s doesn’t have any spicing you can add spices later to change it up: Italian spices, curry spices, jerk spices, anything!

After December and after my cold abated, I went to check my records, look at the recipe and make it again and but I couldn’t find it. It was not on any of my regular and go-to recipes sites. Was it Food52? Or Epicurious? Or Simply Recipes? Or the New York Times? Nope. Did I dream it? I doubt it. But was so easy I had memorized it. So here it is. Without attributions. Also with some changes by me. Apologies to whomever created this.

***

Recipe: Easy, Three-Ingredient Tomato Sauce, Vegan, Nut-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free

2 cans of diced organic tomatoes (28 ounces)
1 small onion, chopped
2-3 T olive oil


In a heavy-bottomed pot, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium heat until translucent. Whilst onions are sweating, puree the tomatoes and their juices in a Tupperware with a hand blender until the tomatoes are smooth (a few remaining diced pieces are fine). Add the tomatoes to the sautéed onion and cook on medium heat. At 20 minutes, taste for doneness, cook longer for a more concentrated flavor. Add salt and pepper as needed. And that’s it. Really. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts