Recipe: Chimichurri, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free

Ingredients ready to go!
UPDATED:

When I was thumbing through Allergy-Free And Easy Cooking by Cybele Pascal, I found an old note to myself to try the Chimichurri. That was back in 2012! So it’s definitely time. 

I looked at Cybele’s recipe as well as Steamy Kitchen, Food and Wine and Garden Betty and I made my version to my taste: not too garlicky, not too hot, easy on the salt and acid. I started conservatively at first to create this basic recipe. I might play around with it next time, like fresh lemon or  fresh oregano or curly parsley or fresh cilantro. But for my first time out, this was balanced just right.


Recipe: Chimichurri, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free

.5 t red pepper flakes
1 t dried oregano
1T red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a nice big, non-reactive bowl, taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. This sauce can be used as a marinade for anything or as a sauce for anything. It’s so flexible and easy. Enjoy! 

Finished chimichurri ready to be spread on everything!


UPDATED:
Discovered that chimichurri fried rice is a thing - heat a teaspoon of chimichurri in a skillet, add .5 cup day old rice, saute, adjust salt and pepper, put a fried egg on top = heaven!

Fried eggs over chimichurri fried rice

Also, chimichurri can be frozen in small batches and be used later on. I made so much chimichurri the first time out, I used one batch that first week, gave away a batch and froze a batch. 

Defrosting chimichurri


I defrosted that batch two weeks later and it was perfection - still bright and fresh, the green parsley still bright. The spicy flavors had calmed, so you could add more chili flakes back in if you desired, but totally still yummable.







Comments

Popular Posts