Recipe: Easy Pea Soup, Vegan, Nut-Free, Gluten-Free




When I was a child my dad used to make the best pea soup. It was thick and smokey; it had tons of flavor and was overall so delicious that it’s a stand out in my childhood food memory bank. 

I think the secret was pig knuckles (or ham hock). 

I called him just now to ask him what was in that magical pea soup of my childhood, and he started rattling off several different varieties he had developed over the years.

“No, no. Not with flanken (steak) and not that other one. The one we had on 35th street. Was it…pig knuckles?” I asked.

“Oh yeah, it was pig knuckles. That was a great one,” he said.

I didn't add pig knuckles to mine (where does one even get pig knuckles?!) but I did throw together a vegan version, with ingredients I had on hand in my cupboard and larder. I bet you have these at home, too!

***

Easy Pea Soup, Vegan, Nut-Free, Gluten-Free
Makes 3 one-cup servings (can be doubled easily for more volume)

1 cup dried, green split peas, sorted and rinsed
1 small onion chopped
1 carrot chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
Salt, pepper to taste
Olive oil
Water

In a large, heavy bottomed pot, sauté onion in olive oil on medium heat until fragrant. Add chopped carrot, sauté for a few minutes, then add minced garlic and sauté until all is fragrant. Add bay leaf, rinsed peas and about 6 cups of water. Bring all to a boil and then simmer until the peas have broken down and softened and flavors melded.

Serve over the grain of your choice or with potatoes or safe-for-you bread.

Comments

Popular Posts